Friday, June 12, 2009

Life & Full Moon

Just finished dinner and listening to my kids create havoc in the background. Some days it just seems impossible...

Dinner was excellent! Pan seared green beans picked this morning with a bit of butter and garlic powder, fresh broccoli picked this morning steamed and garnished with evoo and sea salt. And chicken breast indoor grilled (out of propane for outside grill) with a dry rub of taco seasoning and then finished with shredded mozzarella.

I normally like to cook outside during the summer months so as to not heat up the kitchen. I mean cook EVERYTHING outside. It's amazing what a grill can do. I stir fry, bake, roast, sear, rotiessere, plain grill. Side dishes, main dishes. On cast iron, sheet pans, grates, baskets, woks.

I have beets, beet greens, squash, cucumbers, salad greens, and onions and FRESH garlic (LOVE garlic) courtesy of Full Moon farms in Athens GA. It's a co-op and I am so in love with the idea of buying local grown. I hate that I have to supplement at the local grocery store for bananas and such.

I just read that Georgia is #1 in so many agricultural products but like 80% of our money is spent on out of state produce. 1 in 7 people in GA are associated with agriculture.

If I could garden where I live I would but my yard is engulfed in hardwood trees. I am trying to grow jalapeno peppers this year but the plants are so small I don't think they will do much. When we first moved here I tried my hand at container gardening with tomatoes on my front sidewalk. I grew tomatoes but they were so small it was embarrassing. 9 years later we have lost 2 trees in the front yard but still not enough sun. So I looked elsewhere for home grown goodness.

I love Athens. My mother's family was raised there. There is a house on Buena Vista in Normaltown my great grandfather built. There used to be a man (according to a cousin) who worked at the hardware store that remembered my great grandfather.

I just happened upon Full Moon last spring through the internet. I think it is great. My kids and I love to walk down the road to the fields when we have time. Haven't had much time lately but hopefully before the season ends we will make a couple more trips down the road. I appreciate the hard work all the workers put into it so there is a bountiful harvest!

I can only hope one day I will be able to move closer to Athens than I am.

No comments: